Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hola me llamo Cate la GENIAL

      Well, today marks the one week mark! Wow time has FLOWN by! In case you were wondering what estoy genial means, it happens to be my new favorite saying... My name is Cate the GREAT! lol When people ask what I can say in spanish its usually the first thing I say haha. Well, when I got into Barcelona I had to catch a flight into Valladolid... MOST DISCOURAGING PART OF THE TRIP EVER. Imagine this... every things is written in spanish, everyone ONLY speaks spanish, and I found out all to soon that other countries are not the biggest fans of Americans. I almost gave up and found the letters USA and got on that flight. But then I Skyped a friend and he gave me some encouraging words and I went on the search again for my flight. I figured out that I was in the right terminal (C) but there were over 80 gates and my flight left in 40 minutes. So, I closed my eyes, said a little prayer and started walking. The NEXT exit I looked up and saw VALLADOLID..... THANK THE LORD! I sat down and did a little happy dance on the inside. As the planes were arriving I was thinking to myself, shesh these planes seem small..... haha much to my surprise there were REALLY small. Not only did you have to walk to the plane like from the run way and climb up the stairs but there was one flight attendant who also served as the co-pilot and the pilot. There was one seat on one side and two on the other and 13 people on my flight. Good new, I got a row (two seat side) to myself.

     Once I got into the Valladolid airport it really sunk in that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or how to even ask someone else what I'm doing. (PS they hand delivered my bags because the only bags on the plane were mine and one other persons) I had all my baggage and really needed to use the restroom. I asked a couple to watch my stuff while I was gone... and by asked I mean point to my eyes, point to my luggage, and point to them and said please. Then when I came out the women asked "where you from" (thank goodness they can speak english). We talked a little in my BROKEN spanish and their broken english. There was no place to convert money so they gave me money for the bus, took the bus with me, showed me where to get off, invited me to their house in Barcelona some weekend of my choice, told me I could stay there for the weekend and they would cook for me, AND gave me more money in euros just in case I had an emergency..... can you say G.O.D.! He was really watching over me that day. Once I got to my stop my mentor/angle (Maria) meet up with me. She showed me to my flat and then around the city to get a few things done. I got a few things to eat and got a phone and thats all I could really handle. I was so sleepy, a little homesick, and in disbelief that I was in a foreign country.

      Once Maria took me back to my flat it all hit me. I don't speak spanish, I don't know anyone, it's hot and in Spain they don't have AC (WHAT!?!?!?!??! I miss that more then ranch.....bold statement I know), I wont see any family or friends for a year, AND I DONT SPEAK SPANISH. I then made the stupid decision to re-read my letter my mom wrote me, DUMB. I was so upset and got on my computer to get on facebook and talk to anyone that was on that was from America (at this time is was around 7pm Spain time). I woke up at 3am with the computer on my lap and my hands on my key board. I was STARVING, sweating, and had to use the restroom. I got up to try and open my window and couldn't figure it out, for about 15 minutes I tried. After I failed miserable, I was even hotter. After that I went to the kitchen to eat something, anything... I found my bread peanut butter and jelly... perfect, reminds me of home! I took out my bread put on the peanut butter and the.....I couldn't stinking open the jelly. I tried for what seemed like an hour. I was sweating crying and shaking the jelly. I then remembered that my mom sometimes hits the lid to open it but I didn't want to wake my roommates so I went outside my apartment (4th floor) to try to hit it on something. I decided the railing would be best. After like 3 hits I still couldn't get it and by this time I was ready to swim home. So I took one more try and started BEATING it on the railing.... and what do you know my lid came off and the neighbor came out! The spanish women started YELLING at me in spanish (I'm sure I can guess what about) and I kept saying I'm sorry I don't speak spanish. Finally, defeated, I just turned around and shut the door. Next I ate my well worked for peanut butter and JELLY but I still had to use the restroom. *****before reading this part scroll down and look at the bathroom picture***** So I stumbled my way into the bathroom. In our bathroom there is a little toilet that girls used to clean themselves with in the old days (no idea what its called and its way super AWKWARD). Well I didn't know it was there and I couldn't find the light switch so i just walked in. Well... I RAMED my shins into the "whatever that thing in called" fell over and YELLED "THAT STUPID BABY BATH I HATE SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and then just started laughing on the floor. Needless to say it was the worst/most ridiculous day of my life!

     Since then there have been some ups and downs but DEFIANTLY more ups then downs. I have meet some incredible people here and have made some great friends. Maria my mentor has helped me out so much and has been there for me every day! She is now one of my very good friends. My roommate Barbara who is from Belgium is great. She is so nice and very helpful in teaching me spanish. She and her friend from home, Liesbeth, are probably my closest friends here. We have such a great time together and love to go explore the city/ get completely lost! My other really good friend is Jess. She is from England and in a few of my classes. She's great! My classes are ok, I mean what do you expect they are classes in spanish. I sit there and smile and think about anything, then when we get out I ask someone who can speak english if we did anything important. I now know what it must be like for all the Oriental students at UCO, diff-i-cult!!!! But other then that I'm loving it! Its beautiful here! Everything is so old and rich with history. On orientation day we had a morning full of spanish speakers which was AWESOME (heavy sarcasm) especially since  had NO idea what any of them were saying! Then in the afternoon we went to a welcoming party for all the exchange students with more spanish speakers, wonderful, and then, of course (again sarcasm), the Valladolid University choir came and sang three songs for us. The first song was great and the last song was beautiful but the one in the middle.... lets just say a lot of students, myself included, had to hold back the laughter. When we got home that evening we did a remake of the song included bellow. (cant get it to work... I will try later. Its worth the wait... super funny)

     The city is so much fun to explore and I always seem to see something new (usually because i get lost somewhere different every time but... o well). Like today I was walking and this old man was like oooo muy guapa muy guapa.... and I just pretended like I knew what he was saying and said oo si si (Like every other minute of my time here) and then he just laughed a little. Well a few seconds later after he past my friend looked at me and said, "you know he just said ooo very pretty you are very pretty".... Nope suuuuure didn't. haha Learning spanish is tough but I'm so excited I'm here and can already see an improvement. A few days ago I ordered my own water and food and then at orientation I understood my first whole sentence. Small accomplishments but huge for me! I also meet a girl here and had an amazing talk about religion and what she believed and really felt like I was able to plant a seed :)! There are so many new experiences and adventurers that are already making my time here unforgettable! I miss you all very much and cant wait to hear from you soon! LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!




 


                                      

6 comments:

  1. Pearl I am SOOOOO proud of you I could never do what you are doing! I want you to know that your small airplane ride could have been a lot worse, once we rode in one in similar size and our landing strip was a dirt runway that was the width of the island (the start was at the edge of the ocean and so was the end) lol!! You are so lucky to have this experience and I am so jealous!! Keep practicing your spanish it comes easier with time I'm sure!!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU
    Aud

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing please please please let me know as soon as you know when you are going to London I would LOVE to meet you there if I can!!!
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a great time. I still miss your sticking guts but each day it is getting easier. I am very proud of you and glad you did not get on a plane and come home. God has always had great amazing plans for you. Go out there and LIVE your amazing life and make a difference. Home will always be here. Just remember....you is smart Cate.!!!
    Love to the moon and back.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling Cate- I have a great friend that also (many years ago) went to Spain to learn Spanish I can promise you it will come and quickly. My Spanish Speaking flying buddy will translate for me if you get a poster assignment, Audrey will have to help me send a picture of it so you can copy it..... lol Love you Cate and am so excited for your adventure. Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that "thing" in the bathroom is a bidet. -- ---baday--

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cate....we love reading about all your fabulous adventures. Keep them coming!! The kids love seeing your pictures and asking where you are and what you are doing. I tell them some really cool funny stuff about the pics!!!! Ben is doing great in school but so tired when he comes home. Allie is amazing as usual and loving second grade. We are in full football mode here with OU and OSU games every weekend. We are having a big bday party Oct 1st for Ben even though his bday isn't until the 10th. We will be in Dallas for fall break then. Can you believe he is turning 4?? Remember when he was a little bitty baby?? Anyway, we love you and I have a Skype acct now and we got a MAC so we would love to talk face to face. Have a great time and we love you!!
    The Lathrop Family

    ReplyDelete